Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Wednesday 22nd November 2017...Road trip Day 5!!!

Whilst having my morning cuppa on the front stoop saw this wonderful sight!!!

These are youngsters with disabilities and the horse walking is used for therapy!!!!!


Today is my down town day and I took my time over breakfast and then left around 11 am and drove to down town Austin.
My first stop was the Capitol building and I got lucky they were having free parking today and tomorrow!!!

A very impressive building and I enjoyed the free guided tour!!!







Gotta love that zoom on my camera!!!


Next was here..which was listed on the top 25 things to see in Austin!!!

2. Climb To The Top Of The Baylor Street Art Wall

This is one of those Austin stops that uniquely captures the essence of Austin. Once slated to be a condo project that ended up not materializing, the concert foundation has become a canvas for local graffiti artists. It is constantly changing, just like the city. While there be sure to climb to the top to get a great view of the city.  Location: 11th & Baylor Street


 and the view from the top!!

I then walked about 7 miles checking out down town....it really does not have the sense of a big city and traffic once you get off the free way is easy...




 I enjoy taking reflective shots!!!!
 Austin is sometimes known as the music capitol and 6th Street is where the action is but it must be at night as this afternoon it was very quiet!!
 Tonight before going to my play I wanted to experience the real Texan BBQ...and I did...


 Very delicious the food the service and the low price!!!

Then of to the theater...









It’s Yuletide season in itty bitty Tuna, the third smallest town in Texas where the Lion’s Club is too liberal and Patsy Cline never dies! Between the holiday yard display contest and the Little Theatre’s A Christmas Carol on the brink of cancellation, it’s a miracle anyone gets tinsel on a tree. Three actors play all 25 colorful citizens of Tuna, including OKKK Radio hosts Thurston Wheelis and Arles Struvie who report on the small-town festivities. This satirical ode to the season is spiked with enough sass and shenanigans to make for one Texas-sized jolly holiday.

This was a great show and the actors very versatile and funny......a great last night in Austin.

Tomorrow I head for a one night's stay in San Antonio!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!!

2 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

I'm really up late tonight trying to get ahead on the cooking for the horde of people here for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. So, if I spell a lot of words incorrectly, it's because I've already had two glasses of wine to get through this. Ha! Loved seeing the Austin Capitol again; they do everything big in Texas, don't they? I had asked one of the guides in the Capitol how they keep such an old and huge building so clean? He said, ma'am, the assembly only convenes every three years unless the Governor calls an emergency session. So not much wear and tear. I ask why is that, and he said too many laws are not good for this state.

So you liked Texas BBQ; it is a whole lot different than South Carolina BBQ. Of course, we roast mostly pork BBQ here. Beef seems to be Texas' main meat with a heavy and spicy sauce. It is so rich tasting (what else should it be in rich Texas) that I had to take a bicarbonate afterwards. Also tried Texas' steer brain soup; it was pretty good until my son told me what it was. Todd is very good at playing practical jokes on his mother.

I hope you enjoyed your play, and yes, Austin is an entertainment town, and you will see a good number of celebrities walking or jogging around the lake or riding along on the streets with the top down, for example, Matthew McConaughey. Also, Austin City Limits is broadcast from Austin.

If you drive through any upper income subdivision, you will note one of two things imbedded into the outside walls of the houses; they are either "the star of Texas" or "Texas Steer Horns" representing the University of Texas football team.

Have a safe drive back to San Antonio and fingers crossed you find a great Thanksgiving dinner.

mexicokid said...

Interesting and your son is cool!!!!! Yes it did not feel like a big city to me..the play was very well performed and now a good driving day back through the hill country and I hope to share a bbq with you one day Happy Thanksgiving les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...