Thursday, July 08, 2010

Thursday 8th July 2010…the ferry trip!!!

So as not to make this confusing it is now Thursday morning and I am in the library in Terrace posting this….it chronicles my time since my last blog…

Last night I found a great spot to spend the night very close to the ferry terminal but I don’t think this sign says No overnight parking…do you???

iskut 2 003

The views as the sun was setting from here was really lovely…

iskut 2 005

iskut 2 009

iskut 2 013

About 10.30pm the ferry arrived and docked for the night.  I had a great sleep but this came much too soon…..

iskut 2 016

I had everything packed and ready and as I have to turn the propane off I made sure the freezer and fridge were well stocked and cold before I turned the propane off.  The line up was not too bad and I waited for my turn.

iskut 2 019

By 6am I was entering the jaws….

iskut 2 024

The planned route of the ferry which takes 15 hours!!!

iskut 2 025

This is an amazing ship, in it’s second year of operation and beautifully laid out and the services wonderful some photos of the journey…

iskut 2 032

iskut 2 035

iskut 2 036

iskut 2 043

iskut 2 048

iskut 2 055

iskut 2 070

iskut 2 079 Important to know where this is!!!

iskut 2 071

new 048

new 053

The sun was shining as I boarded the ferry and it shone all day and set as we were arriving in Prince Rupert.  Amazing at 11pm and it is still light.

new 054

Entering the small harbour…

new 059 Look at all the containers!!

 

15 hours is a long time but this is how I spent the journey…I had made sandwiches ..so the first stop I made was the buffet area where I got hot water,  used my own tea bag and saved 2 dollars and had breakfast.

At 9.30am there was a tourist information session in the lounge which I attended.  I then spent the next hour planning my route to Iskut, the times, mileage, things to do and then at 11.30am it was time for the big game.

The Raven lounge was like a mini theatre with about 100 seats and three big screens.

iskut 2 062

It was the second semi final of the World Cup the winner going on to meet Holland in the final on Sunday.

Spain were playing Germany and really as a huge soccer fan and player all my life the game was so boring except for the last 20 minutes, give me a hockey game any time.  Anyway Spain were the victors by one goal.

Remembering England’s loss last week I should have posted this then my girls, Paola and Daniela showing their support!!!!

Les's girls

After the game I found a very quiet spot on deck 7 where there was some padding on the deck and this is how I spent the next three hours!!!!

iskut 2 068

Calm down ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was soon 6pm and ready for supper.  The doors to the vehicle deck are kept locked at all times except for 15 minutes every few hours when you are allowed down.  So I got another great sandwich and goodies and up to the sun deck for supper.

8pm and time for a feature movie in the Raven Room called 16 blocks with Bruce Willis, not bad……after the movie we are arriving in Prince Rupert…..

The day was a really good one the vastness of this Province overwhelms me…the sights were wonderful…the staff on BC ferries excellent and just a great day.

I was still feeling pretty good so off the ferry I drove about 50 km and found this great rest area where I had a wonderful sleep till 8am this morning.

new 060

The plan from here is to drive to Terrace and fill up with gas and groceries then drive north with a side trip to Stewart and Hyder on the Alaskan border.  Spend the night then Friday continue north towards Iskut and getting there and meeting Sara Friday afternoon…keep you posted hope you enjoyed the ferry ride!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...