Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesday 22nd September 2009……Roy!!!!

Those of you have been following the blog for a while now will know about Roy but for new readers I will tell you some about Roy, here he is with Eileen on the right, his former partner and Irene on the left who is Eileen’s sister in law.

IMG_6947 This photo was taken about three months ago at the care facility where Roy has lived for nearly four years.

I have known Eileen and Roy for over 11 years and when Roy was diagnosed with Alzheimer about 8 years ago I had the privilege to be his relief care aid.

Roy and I would spend from 9am to 2pm Monday to Friday together.  We would do all sorts of things and Roy was simply amazing.  His memory was failing but his spirit and his humour never left him.  I can  attest that every morning for 5 years I picked up Roy  he would always have a smile on his face.

Roy owned a logging company and we would often meet on our walks ex customers of his, when I saw these men  later another day they always said the same thing about Roy that when you made a deal with Roy you didn’t have a contract just a handshake would suffice.

Roy now is very sick and Eileen and I went to visit him yesterday.  He still has his sense of humour but he is very frail.  I played the game I often played with him.  I would name a hockey team like Vancouver and he knows the nick name, Canucks, he can do that for most of the NHL teams, amazing he can do this because his memory is really all gone.

Roy was like a second Dad to me and I treasure the hours we spent together…..my wish is that he not suffers and I truly hope I have inherited some his great qualities…..Blessings to Roy.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...