Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sunday 12th April…Happy Easter, Highway 12 WOW!!! day of rest….NOT!!

Had a great sleep but had to put on the furnace this morning just to warm things up a little, very sunny with blue skies but cool.

I left Hatch around 9am and started my journey on one of the most scenic roads in America.IMG_6182

IMG_6163

This map shows the route I am taking over the next few days.  You may have to double click to enlarge the print.  Where I stayed last night at Hatch is on the bottom left hand side.  I then drove to Cannonville and by No.4 is where I am staying the night.

 

The next few shots will show you why it is an amazing road these were all taken in the first few miles.

IMG_6164

IMG_6166

IMG_6169

IMG_6172

I love the one above almost post card like!!IMG_6173

This is for my buddy Croft, I have to be careful what I say because he is about six foot five tall BUT this is how you approach tunnels…IMG_6177

You stop

IMG_6179Check it out and then drive through.

Poor Croft and Norma for the second year in a row they have had tunnel and motor home problems in Mexico!!!  Glad you are all repaired and on your way home.

IMG_6181

There is snow on those hills!!!

You would think after the last few days of hikes I would be thinking of a rest day, right…wrong….found another hike.IMG_6197

Heard about a great hike to Willis Creek, there was a gravel road but decided not to take Ramona, so parked her, packed up provisions and away I went on foot again.IMG_6198 The trails were easy and only a slight elevation rise.IMG_6200 If anyone can spot Ramona in this photo you win a free year’s subscription to the blog!!!!IMG_6204

6 yes you read it right, 6 miles later I arrive atIMG_6205

IMG_6206

This was a lovely walk through the canyon dodging from left to right to avoid the water.IMG_6207 IMG_6208

IMG_6212

IMG_6215

IMG_6217

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_6222

IMG_6227

Had lunch here…IMG_6225

Then walked the 6 miles back to Ramona, so a total of just 14 miles to the trail and then the canyon and back!!!!

More scenic views back on the Highway.IMG_6188

IMG_6191

I then arrived atIMG_6238

where I am staying the night.IMG_6242

This photo was taken from the back door of Ramona.IMG_6239

The park has some great looking trails that I shall explore tomorrow, so ends another incredible day!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...