Saturday, February 09, 2008

Day 79 of the journey and a first!!! As I type I am laying in a hammock on the beach, ocean 40 feet away, sun almost setting and Acapulco off in the distant doing my blog, does it get any better than this?

I was a little sad to leave Zit as I really got a feel for the town and the place I was staying was wonderful and the owners very kind, but happy because before I left I reserved the same spot for the month of February 2009.

Already my calendar is getting booked up last night I bought my air line ticket to England to see my family I shall be there from the 2nd to 22nd October this year then I have the month booked in San Miguel over Christmas and New year and now February in Zit, what an exciting year ahead for me!!

My intention was to drive to the outskirts of Acapulco this afternoon and stay in a Pemex gas station then come into an Rv Park tomorrow morning and head straight down town to see the sights stay one night and leave Monday. This plan did not work as the area around did not look great to me and so I decided to come into the RV Park and stay 2 nights. The parks are on the outer limits of the city and it will mean getting a bus into the centre tomorrow.

There are two parks to choose from both on the beach one is a little run down but clean and with a small family running it and no Rv’s in the park and the price 150 pesos. The other more upscale with fancy rigs and the people playing horseshoes and the price of this one is 300 pesos. Guess which I picked?? Right the little family one, already the young girl Maria and I are friends and I shall be gone all day tomorrow anyway.

Close by is the Military Base with the aircraft outside and a small little friendly community. Neither park had Wifi but there is an Internet place about 300 yards away so taking my computer there later to post this.

The photos are all are taken from Ramona of the sights on the drive down this afternoon. The one of the cement truck is the one that almost caused my first disaster. I saw him hogging behind me but the road we were on was narrow and twisty and he was right on my tail I had already decided the first chance I got to pull over and let him pass but he couldn’t wait and he overtook me on a left hand bend going up hill. As he was level with me he honked and waved to me to stop because another vehicle had come around the corner towards him. I had no choice but to stop and let him in and he was so close to me it was frightening. After he passed me he continued to be so reckless passing other vehicles I honestly expected to find him at some point in the ditch. I have witnessed some very poor driving and driving decisions but this was the closest I had ever come to an accident.

Cannot believe that I haven’t told you yet about the TOPES!!!!!!!!This is the Mexican equivalent of speed bumps and believe me they are everywhere. Many of them are marked and signed and many more of them are not. The rule of thumb is this when you enter any small town there will be three TOPES one at each end of the entrance and one in the middle of town. Of course they also appear anywhere and sometimes without warning. I have only hit one that I did not see and I wasn’t going to fast but it sure shook up Ramona and a quick stop to put everything back in the right place was needed. It wasn’t marked and it appeared in the least likely place. So I thought a special mention of TOPES!!

Also the sunset was rather wonderful tonight so a special mention of that too.

So tomorrow it will be a bus into Acapulco see the sights and the cliff divers and then back to the park for the night then continue south again on Monday morning. Hope everyone is having a great weekend, blessings.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...