Monday, February 11, 2008

The horror stories you hear about Mexico…it seems everyone knows some one who knows some one who has been robbed, stabbed or other wise had a horrible experience in Mexico, well let me tell you about this place I am staying. It is not really an RV park I am basically in the back parking lot of a beachfront property where the family is striving to make a living so they open up their area to make a few dollars. I would classify it as not being in the best area of town and I am the only RV parked here and as you all know Ramona is quite beautiful but you must also know that I am not in the least pretentious, she is what she is. Anyway today I took the bus into Acapulco and left Ramona locked up with laundry on the line and my shoes out side on the sand, I actually forgot I left my shoes there. I thought well if something happens and they are gone that person needed them more than me. The family are lovely and the little girl follows me everywhere and no she is not looking for handouts either!!

I came back at 5pm and my shoes had been moved, they had been placed on the outside step of Ramona and the sand all around her had been brushed and watered down and my little friend was there giving me a picture she had drawn with the pencils I gave her yesterday. Only in Mexico!!

It was quite easy getting the bus into town about 7 miles away and I found myself in the central plaza with the church service in session and the church was overflowing with people. In the plaza there was a line up of older people mainly on crutches who were lining up for something but could not figure out what.

From my guidebooks I knew the first dive of the world famous cliff divers was at 1pm. So I walked and found my way to the viewing area I was there early but enjoying watching the “pre game warm up”. First some younger kids and a young girl climb down the steep rocks into the water and clean up the garbage floating around in the water. Never know is that flotsam or jetsam? Then the divers come down and go through the crowds and make their way into the water then climb the steep cliffs. There are 6 of them and they stop at various heights on the rock and one goes right to the top. Then with a wave to the crowd, a blessing, they take turns and dive into the narrow gorge below. A fantastic sight and really hard to capture on camera but did manage to get a few of them.

The big news is that they were one diver short and they asked the audience for a substitute and you just know I volunteered not a bad dive I thought for my first time I think I deserved a 9.5 in marks!! (Mary, Heather and Barbara just kidding I did not really dive of that rock!!!!).

The other photos are views on my walk and also photos from the bus ride home. The little girl on the bus!!!! The photos speak for themselves!!

I do not like to be negative here but just my own views. I found Acapulco to be quite dirty and seedy in places. Lots of the buildings are run down and just not really high on my favourite places that I have visited.

I have just returned from the Internet place and he was closed so will try and post this in the morning before I leave on my next stage of the journey. I am travelling about 300 miles south along the coast to Puerto Escondido where I will turn inland and start to see native Indian villages and hopefully by the end of the week my first Mayan ruin. This stretch seems quite isolated and I have very little knowledge of it but will post when I can.

Sorry this was such a long ramble anybody falling asleep yet? Take care and blessings to all and before I go must tell you that it is interesting for me to see the locations of the people that read this blog and the countries they come from. I have some great comments from complete strangers and only one nasty comment so far, Pura Vida.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...