Thursday, November 08, 2007

I was waiting to post this until the CD that I bought from the rafting company was delivered but I can post those photos later. My last full day woke up to sunshine and warm breezes, went had breakfast and then whilst waiting for the bus of the rafting company to pick me up, this delivery truck brought flowers to the hotel reception office. Right on time the small van arrived and about a 40 minute drive to the Naranjo(orange) river. They dropped us of at the top of the hill and we walked about 200 yards down to the river and what an interesting 200 yards it was. The two photos of bushes and trees are looking back at the drive way. The young men that are guides here all speak great English, puts me to shame, they are also so proud of their country and want to share their knowledge.
On this short walk down the first plant we stopped at was a lemon bush, the guide pulled the leaves off and we all smelled a beautiful lemon smell so fresh and strong. The next tree was a cinnamon tree, he cut away a piece of bark for each of us to chew and boy what a flavour cinnamon in it's purest form. The next plant was peppermint, a sweet and very nice aroma. Next was a tree I could not pronounce but the oils from this tree are used in Esta Lauder(spelling) perfume. Last but not least an Ash tree where the wood is so hard this is the tree that baseball bats are made from. All this and not even got on the water yet.

We had the customary survival guide and split into two groups I was with two guys from Seattle and the guide Fabion. I have rafted in various rivers in Canada and the US but this was the best, hard to describe how exhilarating it was to see the waves coming at us and we were almost all thrown out of the raft once. Fabion, although only 19 years old, was very gifted and he hung us up in rapids backwards, forwards every which way. It was just an amazing time to end my trip on and the perfect ending of an incredible month.

I then came back and did the walk I already told you about and that was also fantastic, so now down time........

I leave here at 12 noon tomorrow in the small bus back to San Jose for the night and then Saturday morning fly out arriving in Vancouver at midnight. It has been a wonderful holiday with so many memories of new friends, new experiences and blessings....thank you for the e mails and thank you for the kind comment on the blog if you have enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it, well PURA VIDA...

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...