Thursday, October 01, 2020

Thursday 1st October 2020.....must be rabbit time!!!

This is going to be a long post so maybe grab a beverage...


It starts Wednesday morning waking up to a beautiful sunny day knowing it was going to be my last day in Nanaimo......


I had to go to the insurance office and cancel my car insurance and take out storage insurance....it all went really well.


I asked Heather if she would like to go out for a short kayak paddle on Long Lake, they have two small plastic kayaks....we loaded them on the back of the truck and it was only a few minutes drive to the lake and we were on the water in no time.....


Heather looks like a seasoned paddler!!!








It is a lovely lake so close to down town and we enjoyed the paddle and seeing the lovely homes...






And mountains....





Back home we had lunch and watched another episode of our Netflix show..and would you know it we almost finished the show but there is just one episode left...so we decided we would pick a night later in the week when we would watch the last  one and  then email each other about our thoughts on the way it ended...we both thought that Homeland was a very well written script and great actors!!


My luggage was all packed thanks to Heather packing my big case...I have one checked bag, one carry on bag and a backpack......I was slightly over weight on the two suitcases but decided to leave them as they were and take my chances.


Then it was time to leave and I surprised myself by becoming very emotional leaving the house and I was just unable to say good bye to Boomer.....I think you all know what a remarkable companion he has been for nearly seven months and we have walked many hundreds of km together and I have talked his ear off!!!!!!!  I shall miss him dearly!!!


We left home at 4.45pm for the twenty minute drive to the ferry terminal where again it was very hard to say goodbye to Heather.....words cannot describe my gratitude to her and Kirby for their amazing kindness to me all these months......I felt loved, at home and part of the family!!!!


The ferry ride was easy and took just over two hours ....a nice sunset from the back end of the ferry..








I had asked Alex, the middle son who lives in Vancouver,  if he would pick me up at the ferry terminal and drive me to the airport and he was there waiting for me and the drive to the airport was quick, thanks Alex!!!


I was a bit shocked to see the long line up for the check in for my ✈️.....I was also a tad concerned about the weight of my luggage....I did a smart thing, I think, and pre paid for one checked bag so when it was my turn to go to the counter I placed the suitcase on the scale and it was four pounds over but the lovely check in lady never said a word.....she did not even weigh my carry on suit case or back pack, so I was relieved with that.....she told me the flight was full and would I be interested in giving up my seat and taking a later flight with some perks thrown in......I told her not today..if I had not been on a schedule I would have.


I really did not have too much time to go through security, which was easy and down to the departure gate.....I bought two expensive bottles of water from a machine as all the stores were closed and of course the water fountains where I would normally get my water were sealed and closed.


Boarded the flight as almost the last passenger and had no trouble storing the carry on bag and back pack up in the overhead bin......I had also paid an extra sixty dollars to reserve an aisle seat in the exit row where I enjoyed the extra legroom.......


The flight was just over five hours and I don’t sleep on planes so I amused myself by going through all my photos, started to write this and read.....


Uneventful flight and we touched down in Mexico City just before 7am there is a two hour time difference with Mexico City being two hours ahead.


Somewhere here we changed to October so rabbits, rabbits, rabbits!!!


 I did not have to retrieve my checked bag as it was booked for the next flight and customs and immigration was not a problem.


I just walked around the airport a bit to get some exercise and everyone or almost everyone was wearing masks and practicing social distancing...


The next flight was due to leave at 9am and would take 70 minutes to Leon....I had up graded my seat to premier class for this flight for an extra 25 dollars and it was worth it to have a big seat to myself and a few perks.


Arrived in Leon on time and had no problem getting my checked suitcase.....I went into the washroom and took off all the clothes I had worn and put on a T shirt and shorts, I thought this was a good plan...walked outside and there was Gracie to meet me....


Really good to see her again and nice of her to come the 80 minute drive to get me..she brought along Scoutie and Einstein, who were so happy to see me and Gracie had also rescued another dog called Negrita and she was there also so I got to meet her and I wasn’t long without dogs in my life again.


Gracie and I got caught up on the drive home and we went to her house and visited and talked about things .....on Saturday Gracie leaves to go to New Jersey to see her family and I am house and dog sitting....so I will be driving her back to the same airport in two days!!


My scooter was at Gracies house but I drove her car with all my stuff to my casita....


How special walking in and seeing it in spotless condition...my wonderful downstairs neighbour Jane has been taking care of my plants, keeping an eye on things and paying for Anita to come and clean, I was very lucky to have Jane do this for me all these months.


















I did some unpacking and just looked around, went up on the roof and marvelled at now in this modern world in 12 hours one can go from one culture and country to another totally different one!!



I have a 360 degree views..



And them little patio garden..













It is I know going to take me a little while to adjust and comprehend the last seven months...


I will quarantine myself for a while and continue the very safe life style including mask wearing and social distancing ...


Good to be home...


Stay safe and healthy!!

1 comment:

living.boondockingmexico said...

A boy and his dog. I know the feeling. I'm glad you had an uneventful trip home and I bet you're happy to be there. Say hi to Gracie and we hope to see you soon in SMA.

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...