Monday, November 24, 2014

Monday 24th November 2014….a start of a busy week!!

The sun did not show her face this morning and I left at 9am for yoga but found when I got the class room that the teacher is still away and not back till next Monday…so I just stayed in town and did some errands and then went for my second Spanish lesson……Marysol is a really good teacher and I like her methods and again we spent time this lesson with my pronunciation which needs a lot of work…..I have homework and just glad that I am back in learning mode it is definitely not easy for me but I am determined to try and learn and improve my skills bit by bit.

Back at home and did some laundry and then had lunch whilst watching yet another live soccer game from England.

I then decided to do some sorting out of my stuff and making some plans for myself…. I have lots of things to think about and which direction I want to go so good to try and make some mental plans.

I then got cleaned up and went down town to meet my students.

Tonight it was a different class we met down town and I just told them we were going on a small adventure but nothing else.

A few weeks ago I went to a lecture on the Day of the Dead at a private house and the owners were really nice and they own a local mask museum and I thought it would be great to bring my students to see the museum…so this is where I took them!!!

 

san miguel mask museum

The Mask Museum of San Miguel de Allende - A unique glimpse into traditional culture in the heart of colonial Mexico.

 

Owner/curator Bill LeVasseur has spent more than 25 years acquiring an extraordinary collection of over 500 Mexican ceremonial masks. Through his visits to often remote indigenous communities and his observation and documentation of masked dancing, he has also acquired an extensive knowledge of masks and masked dancing that he is eager to share.

In 2006, Bill and his wife Heidi, opened Another Face of Mexico mask museum to the public. Accompanying the mask collection are texts, photos, and videos showing more than 40 different dance ceremonies. All masks in the museum have been danced in indigenous performances and therefore are considered by collectors to be authentic.

Bill sat us all down and told us about the museum

DSC08612

It was a great visit they asked some good questions and none of them knew about the museum…the tour was conducted in English and Blanca at the end gave a nice thank you to Bill…yet again I was very proud of them all!!!!

Blessings …..

Yashi kochi!!!!

4 comments:

Kevin Read said...

It is the toughest thing to learn a new language at our "advanced" age! We get a little better each year, but are sometimes frustrated that we're not more advanced by now. We tell each other that its because our brains are already full! Good for you for putting the effort in. Many do not...

mexicokid said...

it is hard but I do want to try and at least communicate some more thanks les

Croft said...

I agree with Kevin, it actually is difficult to teach an old dog new tricks. But we try and thankfully we are dealing with people who are very appreciative of the effort and forgiving of our shortfalls.

mexicokid said...

so true but I am going to give it a serious shot..nice cleaning on the RV have fun knowing those deer at home are enjoying the flowers cheers L

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...