Sunday, December 08, 2013

Sunday 8th December 2013……friends arrive!!!

I know I said I would not mention this again but it was lovely and sunny and warm again this morning.

I donned my chef’s hat this morning making what I hoe will be a wonderful meal for my friends aula and jerry who arrive this afternoon in their truck camper.

It will be an English specialty of mine Bangers and Mash…….so after cooking I sent some time watering the plants and just doing general clean u…..

I then went and got Paola and we did some errands and then went out to see Paula and jerry…. Paola knows them well and it was a very hay re union all around.  they live in Nova Scotia and if I get a chance I will look on the archives on the blog so you can see how met met in 2011.

We just had a short visit as them have driven many miles the last couple of weeks it was great to see them.

After I took Paola and we ordered a pizza for her to take home for her family……she looked lovely today and is always great company.

Going to do some computer research and get ready for my final English class tomorrow night.

A shot my my roof tonight!!!

DSC00346

DSC00352

Received this e mail from my friend Sara who is crewing on a yacht…interesting reading.

 

OMG, I had forgotten how cold winter gets. I usually escape the coldest months s of the year so what possessed me to sign

Up for an Antarctic adventure. It has been 10 weeks since I arrived in Chile and we have sailed over 2000km and 17 degrees of latitude from Valparaiso , all the way down through Patagonia, the Magellan Straight and through the Darwin Mtn Range, together with the North & South Ice Fields, which hosts the largest masses of ice in the Southern Hemisphere outside of Antarctica. It was spectacular cruising by glaciers that spill into the sea and calve hunks of ice that float by in various sizes.

We were confined for 4 days in Brecknock cove, a magical, wild scene with steep rock faces and waterfalls every 20 meters off the best glacier water I have ever tasted. Once the katabatic wind force of 45nm winds settled we were able to escape into the Southwest passage and when we settled into Olla Bay for the night we only needed the anchor with 2 stern ties (insread of 5) which are un coiled and guided to shore by dinghy to secure the boat comfortably at night.

It doesn't really get dark anymore, just dusk between 11 and 3 but not enough to see the southern stars anymore.

Then we cruised through the Beagle Channel which separates Argentina from Chile. We have arrived on the Cape Horn Biosphere Reserve on Isla Navarino and the capital of the Chilean Antarctic Provence, Puerto Williams, a town of 2300, mostly navy as this is one of the busiest ports in South America.

More on this place later, I'm off to a bicycle race with a borrowed bike. 

 

Sara

Yashi Koshi!!!   

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...