Sunday, June 24, 2012

Saturday 23rd June 2012…Rome wasn’t built in a day and……

it sure cannot be seen in a day but I tried to do what I could…the three of us left at 9am on the free shuttle to the train station then a 20 minute train ride for one and a half Euro to the center…J & M and I parted company here I went in search for the Hop on Hop off bus tour and found  one with in a 10 minute walk and for 18 Euros I was on the bus…….

For once words elude me the sights of the Coliseum and Vatican city will stay with me for ever…….I paid for guided tours at both these incredible sights…otherwise the lineups would have been for ever…sit back with a cuppa and join me on the extraordinary journey through history!!!!!

DSCF0748

DSCF0749

DSCF0751

DSCF0753

DSCF0759

DSCF0764Where did you have lunch today???

Me here!!!!!

DSCF0769

DSCF0767

DSCF0770

DSCF0774

Back on the bus again.

DSCF0779

DSCF0793

DSCF0796

Barb I lit the candle above for you and Frank…Paco….love to you!!!

DSCF0799

Off the bus at the Vatican City and here took a wonderful guided tour lasting 3 hours…just the best…

DSCF0806

DSCF0800

DSCF0804

DSCF0811

DSCF0815

DSCF0817

DSCF0828

DSCF0836

DSCF0856

Sneaked photos from inside one of the most revered places in the world…The Cistern Chapel!!!

DSCF0872

 

DSCF0841

DSCF0842

DSCF0869

Inside the Basilica…

DSCF0881

DSCF0883

DSCF0888

The parting shot at sundown…I know I only scratched the surface but shall never forget the sights!!!

Back on the bus for the most famous fountain in Rome…

DSCF0889

DSCF0895

A tube a train and a shuttle bus home and back 12 hours later exhausted but thrilled…seems trivial  by comparison but I did win at scrabble…..

Memory bank day   Yashi Kochi!!!

It is now Sunday evening and after a long days drive for Malc we are a campsite on the city limits of Venice.

We got set up had quick showers and went to the restaurant on the site for a great meal and to watch England play Italy in the soccer game!!!

It takes a brave or is that foolish man to sit in a restaurant full of Italians

DSCF0899

and watch a soccer game.

It was a fast aced game which went to overtime and then the dreaded penalty shoot out……you can tell who won!!

DSCF0902

DSCF0903

DSCF0904

Congratulations to the Italians…the fans were really good friendly and we all got high fives all around….so a long day driving but tomorrow we have a full day in Venice I was trying to hook up with a kayak company but was not able to get in touch with them……Hope you all had a great weekend…….Les

2 comments:

Carol said...

Wow is all I can say... thanks for the wonderful photos... simply stunning. Feel as if I toured with you!

Carol

Paula and Jerry said...

Super photos, Les. It looks like you packed in as much as you possibly could in such a short time and saw all the well-known sights. Thanks for sharing!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...