Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday 24th January 2009….can you stand another adventure??

 

 

Arrival of pilgrims for the peregrinación, or pilgrimage, to San Juan de los Lagos. As the pilgrims come into town, they are greeted by church bells, dances and fireworks. This pilgrimage is the largest in the western hemisphere. Some three million or more pilgrims from across Mexico will walk for many days, sleeping in the open, to converge on the small town of San Juan de los Lagos, in the state of Jalisco. Their goal is a small shrine to the Virgin Mary. Nearly 20,000 of those pilgrims will walk from San Miguel and environs, reaching the village after nine days. They create a moving city of all ages, carrying banners, singing songs, chanting, praying.

This is the church they are heading for and Sara and I visited the church on our way down and it was a moving sight to see the patrons approaching the Altar on their knees.

day15 019

day15 015

day15 008

So this morning I packed and headed out to see if I could catch up with some of the people on the walk.  About 7km out of town I found the place where they had camped over night.

jan24 001

jan24 002

jan24 006

It was a very moving sight these people have about 250 km to walk, sure puts my Great Lake  Walk of 56 km to shame!!!

I then decided to go an another adventure I had heard of a small rural community outside of town where there were many small churches along the dusty roads.

I did seem to find the road fairly easily and these are the churches.

jan24 012

jan24 013

jan24 015

jan24 018

 

 

 

 

 

 

jan24 021

These were the kinds of little streets I was passing through.jan24 034

jan24 023

jan24 030

jan24 032

jan24 036

It was an interesting journey into the small farm lands away from the city.

On the way back into town saw this

jan24 038

puts a different spin on going for a Sunday drive.

Of course on Sunday there is always a soccer game somewhere…jan24 042

jan24 045

This really amazed me…in this huge field there was this lonely man with a shovel working the land!!!!!!

jan24 039

Not too clear but there he is in a white hat and shirt!!

So another good day and tonight I did something I have never done before,  I watched an American Football game from start to finish and it was exciting…….did I mention the weather…HOT AND SUNNY!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...