Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Tuesday 8th April and Ramona and my again happy self are parked on a pull out just outside the Valley of Fire State Park, about 60kms outside of Vegas.

My plans were thwarted and for the very first time since I left in November have I been turned away from a campsite because Ramona was too pretty, even though they said it was because the campsite was full!!! I had planned to camp at the campsites within the park but both were full. So I drove outside the park boundaries and took the first pull off I saw. There are no signs saying overnights not allowed so I am hoping I shall be undisturbed, it is very quiet, very little traffic, very dark and quite windy. So all this means is that I shall drive the mile or so into the park tomorrow to do my hikes and have saved myself 14 dollars!!

I left Laughlin around 9am this morning and went to visit Hoover Dam. This is worth a Google visit to read about the history. It is also one of the few places I have visited where you just stand back and look and marvel and think how on earth did they manage to build that!!! It is awesome. Due to the 911 attacks Ramona had to be searched before I went over the dam so I pulled into their parking lot, my regular viewers just know what is coming next….wait for it……Homeland security armed officer….wait…..yes they did it again….asked me to get out of the vehicle and open one of my rear compartments, which I did. I then went to unlock the next one and the officer said that’s Ok, lets look inside, which he did for maybe 14 seconds. The irony of all of this is that the area where the inspections take place is huge and it borders a steep mountain pass. Well my inspection officer seemed more intent on telling and showing me the long horned mountain sheep that were on the ledges above the inspection area!! I thanked him pulled Ramona over to the side and got the great shots of the sheep!!

There were hundreds of tourists at the Dam and it was all very well organized and was worth the visit.

The road from the Dam to the Valley of Fire park was very scenic and I found myself stopping frequently to take photos.

So there you are a very interesting day first seeing what ingenious men and women can build and later that day seeing what Mother Nature can also build and destroy with her forceful power.

I hope after a day of hiking tomorrow to go into Vegas for two days apparently there is an Rv park close to old downtown and then catch the speed tram to get me around the strip. One piece of news which will necessitate a change in plans for me is that I have found out today that the roads into Yosemite are not open yet so will have to save that for another trip. Now have to decide which way to go after Vegas and yes Malcolm (the smart brother) I know I have to go north!!

Pura Vida…

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...