Friday, January 16, 2015

Friday 16th January 2015…a true Pearson!!!

Which means that I made no appointments for today…did not schedule myself to see anyone and just spent the whole day on my own…spoke to no one and it felt really good to relax…do lots of thinking and enjoy my alone time!!!

This morning was bright and sunny early on and I was on the road by 9am heading to the X at the top of the map!!!

 

DSC00215

The place is called

DSC00135

It took me just about an hour to get to the turn off and the paved road became good gravel

DSC00129

and then narrow good gravel

DSC00130

What I am about to describe happened within seconds of rounding the bend above…..

I came across a farm truck stopped on my side of the road and two trucks facing my way they were about 70 yards in front of me and the road was completely blocked off…..I slowed right down and realized that there was about 15 men an the road and at the sides of the trucks and that they were carrying machine guns and pistols strapped over their shoulders!!!!!

They were not police and no vehicle was police marked and the men appeared to be dressed in jeans and looked “normal”…..I had a quick decision to make and I stopped and they all looked at me…I put the car in reverse and started to turn around but the road was narrow and whilst I was doing this I heard the men shouting and waving for me to come forward…….as a 16 year veteran police officer I very quickly weighed up my options…I was way out in the boonies and if I decided to turn around and drive away their vehicle was facing my way and was a big off road truck they would catch me in seconds….so I decided to approach them very slowly..luckily I had a map on the passenger seat and I decided that this was not a time to pretend that I spoke no English..so I drove slowly towards them with both my hands on top of the steering wheel where they could see them and I stopped just before the farm truck…..two men approached me and both had machine guns slung over their shoulders and pistols in their waist bands….as I mentioned they were dressed in jeans and shirts and before they said anything I simply asked in my best Spanish….con permiso donde esta de puerta de Dios…which means I was with permission asking for directions to the bridge of God…….I actually was going to try to find this place but I thought a smart move to mention God!!!!

It turns out they were friendly gave me directions that I did not understand and moved one of the trucks so I could get by and I thanked them and drove on……….

About 5 minutes later two of the trucks passed me and then stopped about 400 yards ahead of me but this time they were taking a bathroom break…..of course I had wanted to take a photo when they stopped me but I know that would have been one of the 4 most stupidest things I have ever done…but I did risk a shot as I past them later…….so a nice adrenalin start to my hike!!!!!

DSC00134

The scenery just started getting more awesome at every turn…

DSC00140

DSC00141

Met lots of cows on the road and believe me they were very hesitant to move off the warm road!!!!

DSC00133

DSC00136

DSC00146

Soon the gravel road turned into this

DSC00144

and then came to the entrance to the area I was looking for

DSC00145

Having seen no sign of civilization I then came into a tiny village with a lovely church…

DSC00151

DSC00153

Finally in the distant I saw the place I was looking for!!!

DSC00149

This is what the X is!!!!

DSC00150

Looks like a miniature Monument valley and what about that zoom in my new camera!!!!

I followed the road but it was getting worse by the yard so I decided to park

DSC00199

and knew I had a good long hike ahead of me…..

DSC00155

Come and climb with me and enjoy the views!!!!

DSC00163

DSC00164

See any birds in the above shot!!!

With my zoom you can!!!

DSC00165

DSC00169

DSC00172

It became apparent the closer I got to the top that it was not one large rock face but two separate ones and the one with the cross I could not find a way to get up there so I settled for having my lunch with this view!!!

DSC00183

DSC00187

It was such a wonderful vista I could see for miles!!!

DSC00180

DSC00191

DSC00192

DSC00196

X is where I had my lunch!!!!! Not a bad climb and hike!!!!

Back at the car I turned around and went the same way back but stopped here…

DSC00200

See I told the armed men the truth!!!

DSC00201

After this bridge the path was well marked but not well maintained…

DSC00205

It was about 15 minute walk to the natural bridge!!!

DSC00211

DSC00212

A cool view!!!

the drive home took just over two hours and I was home by 6pm and was straight into the tub!!!!

Had a good dinner and now relaxing on the couch watching a hockey game….. a great ME day!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!!

2 comments:

living.boondockingmexico said...

You did the right thing. After all, those guys aren't interested in you. They have a job to do and are only protecting their territory. BTW, great trip and wonderful pics.

mexicokid said...

thanks always good to know I did the right thing when you come back here it is worth a visit cheers les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...