Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Wednesday 2nd July 2014...Camino Day 29!!!

Well I was hoping for a USA victory last night but alas it was not to be although they put up a good fight so now i am cheering for under dogs Costa Rica!!! A good sleep and was awake at 6.45am so got packed up for what i knew was going to be a hard day it was a scheduled hike of 28 km but it also included the highest climb on the Northern route 2300 feet so I was ready bring it on!!!!! Had a little trouble finding the way markers to get out of town and asked a couple of folks and they put me on this small road and the climb started already and I really was not sure I was going the right way but no vehicles or people to ask so I kept going up hill with no markers at all and after about 40 minutes I was sure happy to see this!!!! After about another 30 minutes I came to an underpass and a T junction and not one single marker, shell or arrow to be found and for the first time in a month the Camino did not provide. Obviously I had 2 choices and my sense told me I needed to turn right so I did and continued going up hill after maybe a couple of km I saw workmen on the side of the road and I asked for the town I needed and sure enough my senses turned out to be wrong I should have taken the left turn but they told me I could continue and get back another way so i followed their directions and it took me on some very deserted side roads with a few farm houses with big dogs so I found myself a small stick just in case and one farmhouse I went by the lady came out and told me stop whilst she tied up her 7 dogs I would have been pilgrim fodder!!! So now in the distance i see the town I needed to be and on the road I passed by an lady holding her horse and I think her son as i went by I said hola and buen dia and I was about 10 feet past when she shouted at me and waved her big stick at me!!!! This is the second time in a few days I have been "threatened" by ladies with big sticks do not tell me I am losing that inevitable Pearson charm!!!! I turned around and it was obvious to me she wanted to exchange my wee poor excuse of a stick and give me hers which she did!!!!! I then took a photo and as you can see the man is challenged but he just loved it when I showed him the photo on my camera....so even though the way did not provide with routes it did provide an unforgettable moment!!! Also I learned that I think the stick was helping me with the hills maybe I made a big mistake in not bringing my trekking poles. I eventually got to the town I needed to be but I had put on an extra 7km not needed on this kind of day!!! I stopped in the town and had breakfast the Cathedral was beautiful and I was feeling good.....my book told me the next 11km was all up hill with no places to get food or drink so i went into a bar and re filled my bottles and I had fruit and snacks and away I went and guess what I saw a another pilgrim...we talked and walked for a few minutes but he was going too slow so I said Buen Camino and carried on .....wonder why he was going slow..... checkout his back pack what on earth does he have in there?? Some views along the way animal feeding time So after a hard and I mean hard 35 km I was in the town where i wanted to stop for the night and the last marker said 142km to go!!! The room is not so palatial as others but still very nice for 20 Euros!!! Did all the usual things and had a great snooze for over an hour and then went to the restaraunt across the road and had supper and then sat on a bench in the sun enjoying an evening of reflections!!!! Again not bragging but I really feel good obviously my legs are a little tired but my mental and physical health is tops!!! Tomorrow I have booked a room in a hotel 21 km away and it is a flat easy walk....feels strange not watching a soccer game!!! Happy Birthday to Inga and also to Zach who is playing in a major golf Tournament in BC. Talking of tournaments this kid is back in action again after months off after serious surgery way to go Ashley!!!! Things I learned today. I find that taking my time and looking around is important. It costs nothing to smile and say a kind word even to a stranger. I am so enjoying my tea this electric coil is a life saver. Oh yea those friends...still awesome!!! Yashi Kochi!!!!

2 comments:

Rick said...

Your photos have been great.
We can feel your journey - although from a dry place sitting in a chair.

The Canadians have been killin-it at Wimbledon!
Go Canada!!!

mexicokid said...

thanks it is a wonderful time for me and usually after the walk is done I just marvel at the day's blessings and yes those kids are doing great I hope to see the games thanks les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...