Friday, May 08, 2009

Friday 8th May 2009…..

WARNING!!!!

If you are not interested in soccer you will find this post completely and utterly boring!!!

Let me explain the soccer system in England..the top division of soccer is called the Premiership where the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool play and the financial rewards are huge from television rights mainly.

The next division below that is called the Championship which is where my beloved Sheffield United, other wise known as the Blades, play.

Each year three teams from the Premiership are relegated to the Championship league and three teams from the Championship go up to the Premiership.  Unfortunately it is a little more complicated than that.  The three teams that are promoted to the Premiership are the two top teams in the league but for the third place team there is a play off.

This is where my Blades come into contention.  They finished third so are into the play offs and today they played Preston North End in the first of a home and away fixture to see which team advances to the next round and if they win that they gain promotion.

So today’s game was huge.IMG_6750

The game was being broadcast live from England but on a special channel that I could not get but thank goodness for my friend Roy who subscribes to that station and he invited me over to watch.IMG_6751

You can see by the score above it did not start too well for my Blades but this is the tying goalIMG_6753

So the game finished 1 –1 and now they play again on Monday and the winning team advancing to the next stage of the play offs.

So stay tuned for Monday’s results…….

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...