Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday 29th August 2014…….a day to myself!!!

Before I left on my epic summer Camino I tried to make every Friday a Pearson day…a day when I had no appointments, usually saw no one and most times did not even speak to anyone and after a busy 6 day week that I had I liked the idea……so I am going to continue on with it and after breakfast I packed up lots of food and drinks and went to get Little Bluey from L & G’s house and set out for this town!!!!!

 

 

The rebirth of Mineral de Pozos

Many call Mineral de Pozos, Guanajuato a “ghost town”. But that is because they have not visited it during the Mariachi Festival, which in April dresses up its quiet, cobbled streets. Actually, this Magic Town wakes up from a short break to brighten up its streets with the “Son de la Negra” song, as well as with a good dose of international rhythms: (the Blues Festival in June), or with the beat of the huehuetl or pre-Hispanic drum (the Toltequidad Festival in July).

Surrounded by cacti and arid hills, Mineral de Pozos was founded in 1576 to exploit the rich gold and silver mines nearby. During its most glorious period, there were 17 gold and silver mining haciendas, and up to one thousand men worked in each one every day. “Pozos” became one of the cities where more silver was produced in Mexico and in the world. By the early twentieth century, “Pozos” had become a prosperous city, with about 50,000 inhabitants and a strong trading network. As the veins became depleted, the town slowly faded, until the last mine was closed in 1950.

 

Just about 300 people remained in the town. Thus, almost abandoned and demolished, Mineral de Pozos captivated the big screen as a result of the film “Pedro Páramo”, directed by Carlos Velo and starring John Gavin. The roofless mansions with their old furniture were the natural setting for the spooky novel written by Juan Rulfo. Gradually, “Pozos” began to creep into some films and into the routes of adventurer visitors…

In the 80s, as a result of its architectural heritage, as its buildings date back to the sixteenth century, Mineral de Pozos was declared Historic Heritage of Mexico; a few years ago it was recognized as Magic Town in Guanajuato. Both designations have marked the rebirth of this place, with its first renovated streets, dressed in white and ochre. Spa services, tours of the mines, workshops on pre-Hispanic musical instruments, craft shops, a vibrant cultural activity and the first boutique hotels begin the define Mineral de Pozos’ style: a perfect place to indulge, to become disconnected from everyday life and lose yourself in a clean landscape with the echoes of the mariachi, blues and pre-Hispanic rhythms.

It took me just over one hour and it felt good to be behind the wheel again this is the first time I have driven the car since I arrived home almost 3 weeks ago!!!

The government and town’s folk have obviously sent a lot of money to modernize the town and it is very clean but I saw no tourists.

DSC07652

DSC07654

DSC07653

I took a side road out to the old haciendas they are all deserted but you can just imagine the majesty of this area a few years ago!!!

DSC07617

DSC07618

DSC07646

I found a bike trail no yellow arrows but at least signs…

DSC07625

problem was this was the last sign I found but I was heading for the top of this range below

DSC07612

It was a beautiful day and the hiking was fairly easy and at the top the views lovely

DSC07628

DSC07630

I took a different route back and came across more old buildings

DSC07620

DSC07622

Still a few open shaft mines

DSC07621

This one went down forever!!!

DSC07647

DSC07642

DSC07631

DSC07649

Had lunch inside one of these old buildings and let my imagination run wild into what it may have been like here when the mines were flourishing!!!!

It was a different and a great hike and I enjoyed the solitude…the drive back was easy and I washed Little bluey and got on my scooter and came home and it started to rain on the way home so jumped into a nice hot bath and then I had dinner and now relaxing watching live tennis from New York.

So I did not see anyone…did not speak to anyone…..and I enjoyed my day!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...