Monday, January 19, 2009

A working day..

What a beautiful morning it was sunny and warm by 9am, this week I have planned to go to Santa Julia and help with chores so I arrived there at 11am and met Robin who arranged for me to work this week.

We met this lovely little girl in the reception area.IMG_2914Her name is Guillermina and she is five years old and she is the newest arrival at Santa Julia, she came from an abusive home.  Already she is surrounded by loving Madres and girls, she is a sweetie.IMG_2918   She stayed close by most of the time I was there.IMG_2913 The grounds are so well maintained and the flowers and fruit are abundant.

It was decided that I would start the long process of washing the windows in most of the buildings in the compound and I soon got to work.IMG_2921 Guillermina decided I needed some help with these windows.IMG_2944

Soon some of the younger children came home from school.IMG_2922

After they were changed out of their uniforms I had a squad of window washers at my side.IMG_2935 Someone does a special job fixing up the girl’s hair!!IMG_2938

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2949

This is the dormitory where the younger girls sleep.IMG_2930

I was making good progress and I noticed how orderly everything is and how the girls laughter echoed throughout.

Soon Paola and Daniela arrived back after school and they got changed.IMG_2951

Paola had her sweeping chores to do, all the girls help in some way.

When it was time to leave I had managed to do the windows inside and out of the kitchen, dining room and part of the Chapel.  Will go back tomorrow and continue.

Paola and Daniela were up to their usual tricks.IMG_2956 They followed me down the driveway and made sure I got out of the big gate OK.  Janet and Malc note Daniela’s shirt(thanks).

I am going to go back each day and continue with the window cleaning.  It was such an amazing day to be there and be totally accepted.  The girls all know me now and all say hello and we chatter away in our different languages but the sheer joy and light in their eyes is such a reward.

This is going to be a busy week it is a special time in the town with the celebration of Allende’s birthday so lots happening.

When I came back the sun was still shining and it was a beautiful evening.  I cooked a good meal and relaxed watching television and yes my shoulders and arms did ache a little.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...