Friday, July 01, 2022

Friday 1 st July 2022…lots happening!!

 Happy 1 st of July so hoping you said the usual Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits to bring you good luck for the rest of the month.





Also it is Canada Day so I wish all my Canadian friends a great day of celebrations…..





Please enjoy and use the action calendar for July!!!





It was a great reunion with FRIDA this afternoon she has been at doggie camp all week so it was wonderful to take her out and catch up with all our news, yes I spend a lot of time talking with FRIDA!!





Hope you enjoy this story…..


Several years ago I went to Queretaro about a 45 minute drive to watch a challenger 250 tennis competition ……


It was at a local tennis club which was really nice but small and not too many facilities……there was no cost to enter and before one of the games I walked around the back of the main court and stumbled across a man and a woman, who was breasting feeding her small baby…….


I quickly averted my eyes and said hola and moved on back to my seat….


When the players came out for the match I was surprised to see that the same woman was playing in the match and her husband and small baby were in the stands and he was obviously her coach as well.


I found out her name was Tatjana Maria and she was German……she won the match that day and afterwards I saw her leave with her family….


Eight days later I was reading the tennis headlines from the huge tennis event held in Miami every year and was delighted to see that Tatjana had stunned one of the seeded players there……small world one day she is playing in a very insignificant match in Mexico and a few days later making world headlines in the tennis world.


Two weeks ago when I was with my family I took Janet and Malc to a day of tennis in Nottingham ….where the world’s number four seed Maria Sakkari was competing and we watched her game.


Now this morning I watched these two women play in the third round of Wimbledon….


Tatjana Maria bumped Maria Sakkari out of Wimbledon as the German who once played at the All England Club while pregnant condemned the Greek star to a stunning exit.

Mum-of-two Maria dazzled in a 6-3 7-5 victory over the fifth seed, reaching round four of a grand slam for the first time in her career. She had suffered eight successive first-round losses in slams until this week's turnaround, last getting a win at the 2018 US Open.

The inspired Maria revelled on the Court Two big stage, becoming the oldest German woman in the Open Era, which began in 1968, to make it through to the last-16 stage of a major.

At the age of 34 years and 228 days, world number 103 Maria is also the oldest woman remaining in the Wimbledon singles this year.

Sakkari lost in two tight sets to Maria at the Australian Open in January, but the roles were reversed this time, the impressive German landing a fifth career win over a top-10 player.

Husband and coach Charles-Edouard Maria watched from the stands, while their daughters, eight-year-old Charlotte and one-year-old Cecilia, played in a nearby creche.

Maria said in an on-court interview: "I came here with my two kids for the first time. I was so happy to be in the main draw. I love to play on grass. It's such a special place for me. One year, when I was in my first pregnancy, I played pregnant.

"I love to play Wimbledon and to make this happen with my family there are no words for this, only joy and only happiness."

She said her daughters were probably "jumping in front of the TV", and spoke of wanting to set a positive example for her tennis-playing elder daughter.

"I try to be really a role model for my daughter, because she will be the next champion, so I try to show her the best way possible," Maria added. "I cannot wait to go over to the creche now and see my kids."

Neither Maria nor Sakkari had ever gone beyond round three at Wimbledon, with this the one grand slam where the Greek world number five has not reached the last-16 stage.

Maria was one of three mothers in the draw, the WTA said, along with Serena Williams and Yanina Wickmayer, both of whom made early exits. The next test for Maria will be posed by big-hitting Latvian Jelena Ostapenko.







I listened to her on court interview and how refreshing to hear a professional athlete be so humble and joyous and full of praise for her husband and to be so excited to have her children with her.


I wish Tatjana good luck in the next round!!


Wordle was a bit tough today!!!





Stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...