Friday, May 24, 2019

Friday 24th May 2019.....the kindness of complete strangers!!!!!

Today was hiking day and I found another state park to go to about 35 minutes away....packed a lunch and some drinks and away I went.


I had map directions and it was supposed to be a 3.5 mile circular hike...the write up said it was in rugged back country....


After 45 minutes I came upon these lovely waterfalls...











Then it was a big up hill climb to the look out....







Fabulous views and I ate my sandwich here and drank my juice....


Before I continue with the story I take full responsibility for not packing my back pack like I normally do I always have a first aid kit, every bars packed but not today...


The route markers directed me to a different route back and all was well till I came to a three way intersection..I had no idea which way to go...no cell service so that was not an option.....I always remember my Father’s advice.....when in doubt turn left..so I did......


Not right this time Pop!!!


To cut a long story short I got hopelessly lost and I was following markers that did not seem to lead anywhere...


After walking over an hour to my horror I was going up hill thinking this is not right and lo and behold I finished back on the same look out I had just left but had approached from a different route...


By this time I had walked a long way and only had a tiny drop of water left and I had been hiking over five hours.....


I sat down and rested and thought about my options....I could not use my phone and the terrain was rugged and although I was on trails with markers and I was following them they seemed to lead me in circles....


As usual for me just when I thought about some serious options I saw something I had not seen the whole day....people on the trail..it was a mother and her teenaged daughter.....

I asked if they knew the trails and they did and they said they were going back to the parking lot and I could hike with them...

They were very kind and the Mum had been to SMA a few years ago..


We hiked about another hour and when we reached the parking lot I instantly knew what had happened they were in a different parking lot to me this is not where the car was....


When I told them they asked where I was parked and when I told them they said that parking lot is about 15 minutes away on the other side of the reservoir...no worries I said I would get an Uber as I had cell coverage..they would not hear of it and proceeded to drive to me to the car..


Such wonderful kindness for which I thanked them and said I would pay it forward one day.....they made my day!!


I got home vert tired around 6 pm and I reckon I walked close to 14 miles!!!!!


A sleepy kid tonight!!!


Yashi Kochi!!!

4 comments:

Croft said...

What a wonderful story but you were lucky. Next time take a map or leave a bread crumb trail!

mexicokid said...

Yes I was lucky I did have a map but it was complicated...anyway now I need to do a pay forward which I love...hope you have a good weekend..hang in there buddy..les

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

A rather scary situation… Luckily you have the body of a 17 year old!!! Hope you had a good sleep.

mexicokid said...

Thank you..yes a good sleep..

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...